Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Directions Company

I started Directions Company in 1970.  As a marketing student at UT, I was anxious to apply my talents in the real world.  Ultimately, the real world became my only world.  I started in the Jean shop business but grew into the music world almost immediately.  We had so called straight accounts like the University Coop and Midnight Movies that kept us working, but we became best known for our posters and our radio spots.

 

Left to right from the top is Susan Cofer, my great business manager, I'm in the hat with the video camera, then Lydia Hardwick, my girl friend, then Darcy,  next is John Harms, Micael Priest, Cliff from UNCLE, Joe and "Reva Joe" Gracey, and Ken Featherston.  Next row is Fontaign Harms and Maury Maverick III, Mike Mohaniss, Cliff Carter, and a young poster artist that didn't hang around very long.  At the bottom of the picture is Bobby, the poster distributor and Jim, the photographer.

Things really got started when I got Micael Priest to leave his job in Fort Worth and join us. Susan Cofer and John Harms were next. After we took over the house on Hearne street, everything just accelerated.

With a decent radio recording studio inside and a strong stable of poster artists, we promoted several hundred shows in the three years we were there.  But Oh... we had some mighty fine parties.




And with our almost in-house printer Express Press, we could get a show together in a minutes notice, faster than any other agency or group in town.




At the same time my friend from Business School started his agency.  His agency became GSD&M.

They made more money.

We had more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment